We have had a long, cold and rough winter this year in Toronto. With the warm weather finally around the corner, home owner should take the necessary steps to avoid spring flooding this winter. Here are few tips from us, at GTA General Contractors to show you what steps you can take.
- Clearing neighborhood basins to help drain the water.
- Clearing left over snow from all roofs. Home owners should use a professional to this this in order to avoid damages to the roof and prevent injury.
- Direct all snow away from your foundation and remove remaining ice plates. Water should be driven away from the home foundation walls as much as possible.
- Extend your downspouts away from the foundation, with slope towards street, so water does not return.
- If you have a sump pump, make sure it is working properly. If you have experienced difficulty with spring floods before, and do not have a sum pump, you may consider installing one.
- Make sure you have a back flow prevention valve installed, specially, if you are in a part of the Greater Toronto Area that experience flooding more often than others.
- Visit your basement often
- Speak with your neighbors and try getting them on board to make sure you’r house does not get flooded as a result of snow or water accommodation from your neighbor’s house accumulated snow or water.
- Should you experience any flooding after all, make sure to shut off main water valve and call a professional contractor.